Dr. Holtzclaw received his dental degree (Cum Laude) from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. During a subsequent 12 year tour with the United States Navy, he completed a General Practice Residency at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, a Periodontics Residency at the prestigious National Naval Medical Center (“The President’s Hospital”), and received a Masters Degree in Oral Biology from George Washington University.
Dr. Holtzclaw is a diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology and a diplomate and fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. He is a past recipient of the International College of Dentists Excellence in Research Award and has published numerous articles in peer reviewed journals such as the Journal of the American Dental Association, the Journal of Periodontology, the Compendium of Continuing Dental Education, General Dentistry, and Titanium. He recently authored a chapter on allograft use in the practice of dentistry for the international textbook Tissue and Cell Therapies: An Essential Guide produced by Wiley-Blackwell publishing in cooperation with the American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB) and the United Kingdom National Health Service Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) service.
Commercially, Dr. Holtzclaw has authored two best-selling books and served as a guest editor for a number of online publications. Dr. Holtzclaw maintains a practice limited to Periodontics and Implantology and serves as the Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Implant and Advanced Clinical Dentistry. www.jiacd.com
- Diplomate: American Board of Periodontology
- Diplomate and Fellow: International Congress of Implantologist
1. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH, Mazor Z, Rosen P, Horowitz R, Toffler M, Horizontal Ridge Augmentation utilizing a Composite Graft and Resorbable Membrane: Retrospective Evaluation of 73 Consecutively Treated Cases from Private Practices. J Oral Implantology 2010 Publication Pending.
2. Toscano NJ, Shumaker N, Holtzclaw DH. The Art of Block Grafting: A review of the surgical protocol for reconstruction of alveolar ridge deficiency. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2010 Publication Pending.
3. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH, Rosen P. The Effect of Piezoelectric Use on Open Sinus Lift Perforation: A Retrospective Evaluation of 56 Consecutively Treated Cases from Private Practices. J Periodontol 2009;81: 167-171.
4. Holtzclaw DH, Toscano NJ, Tal H. Spontaneous Pigmentation of Non-Pigmented Palatal Tissue After Periodontal Surgery J Periodontol 2009;81: 172-176.
5. Holtzclaw DH, Toscano NJ. Management of the Actively Bleeding and Hypovolemic Dental Patient. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 8:19-27.
6. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH. The Bio-Derm Ridge Plumping Technique for Pontic Site Development J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 7:31-47.
7. Toffler M, Toscano N, Holtzclaw D, DelCorso M, Ehrenfest D. Introducing Choukrouns’s Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) to the Reconstructive Surgery Milieu. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 6:21-32.
8. White J, Holtzclaw DH, Toscano NJ. Powertome Assisted Atraumatic Tooth Extraction. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 6:35-44
9. Moss HD, Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH. Recognition and management of odontogenic referred pain. Gen Dent 2009; Vol 57:2 388-391
10. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH, Sabol J, Scott T. Implant Fixture repositioning by Segmental Osteotomy: A case series and Review. Publication Accepted IJPRD. Pending Publication
11. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH, Shumaker N. Implant Considerations in the Anticoagulated Patient: A Review. Titanium 2009; 1:52-59.
12. Toscano NJ, Holztclaw DH, Hargiti I, Shumaker N, Naylor GD, Marx R. Oral Implications of Cancer Chemotherapy. J Implant Adv Clin Dent 2009; 1:51-69
13. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH, Meehan S, Rees T. Surgical Considerations and Management of Patients with Mucocutaneous Disorders Publication Accepted Compendium, Publication Pending.
14. Holtzclaw DH, Toscano NJ. Alterative Anesthetic Technique for Maxillary Periodontal Surgery. J Periodontol 2008; 79:1769-1772
15. Holtzclaw DH, Toscano NJ. Speech Pattern Improvement Following Gingivectomy of Excess Palatal Tissue: A Case Report. J Periodontol 2008; 79:2006-009
16. Holtzclaw DH, Toscano NJ. The Safety Bone Allograft Used in Dentistry: A Review. J Am Dent Assoc 2008;139;1192-1199
17. Toscano NJ, Holtzclaw DH. Surgical Considerations in the Use of Platelet Rich Plasma. Compendium 2008:Vol 29: 182-185.