Dennis P. Tarnow is currently Clinical Professor of Periodontology and Director of Implant Education at Columbia School of Dental Medicine. Dr. Tarnow has a certificate in Periodontics and Prosthodontics and is a Diplomat of the American Board of Periodontology. He is a recipient of the Master Clinician Award from the American Academy of Periodontology and Teacher of the Year Award from New York University. Dr. Tarnow has a private practice in New York City, and has been honored with a wing named after him at New York University College of Dentistry. He has published over one hundred articles on perio-prosthodontics and implant dentistry and has coauthored three textbooks including one in 2008 titled Aesthetic Restorative Dentistry. Dr. Tarnow has lectured extensively in the United States and internationally in over thirty countries.
1968 B.A. Biology, Brooklyn College
1972 D.D.S., N.Y.U. College of Dentistry
1973 GPR Brookdale Hospital
1976 Certificate in Periodontics, N.Y.U.
1978 Certificate in Prosthodontics, N.Y.U.
• The maxillary sinus elevation procedure - histologic evaluation.
• Mucosal recession surrounding implants following abutments placement
• Immediate loading of endosseous implants
• A1 2 O3 ceramic abutment for single tooth restorations / 5yr (Nobelpharma/Study)
• Effect of burs on stripping and coating of ailing abutments.
• Calcitek single Implant placement with their new spline hex.
• Evaluation of New Hybrid Implant - Pilot Study In Dogs
• Comparison of Biologic Synthetic Bone graft particles and open debriment in the treatment of human periodontal defects. (Clinical Study)
• Comparison of Implant Innovation screw implants 5 yr. longitudinal Study.
• Failing Implants - Pilot Study in Dogs.
• Inter changeability of 5 different companies abutments on Branemark Implants.
• Use of ERA Sterngold attachments for overdentures supported by implants.
• Treatment of ailing implants - histologic study.
• Use of perioglass in periodontal defects.
• Evaluation of wide vs. narrow implants in humans.
• Grafting extraction sockets
Pub Med Articles: Tarnow DP
Tarnow DP, Emtiaz S, Classi A. Immediate Loading of Threaded Implants at Stage 1 Surgery in Edentulous Arches: Ten Consecutive Case Reports With 1- To 5- Year Data. Quintessence Dental Implantology ( Japan ). 5 (1997):107-113.
Tarnow DP, Emtiaz S, Classi A. Immediate Loading of Threaded Implants at Stage 1 Surgery in Edentulous Arches: Ten Consecutive Case Reports With 1- To 5- Year Data. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implant. 12 (1997):319-324.
Rose, L.F., Rosenberg, E.S., Tarnow, D.P. Thirty Years of Osseointegration Progress and Promise. Overviews of the Branemark System. J. Esthetic Dent. 8 (1997):3-44.
Lemons, J., Laskin, D., Roberts, E., Tarnow, D., Shipman, C., Paozkowski, C., Lorey. Changes in Patient Screening for a clinical Study of Dental Implants After Increased Awareness of Tobacco Use as a Risk Factor. J Oral Max Surg. 55 (1997):72-76.
Casino, A., Harrison P., Tarnow, D., Morris, H., Ochi, S. The influence of Type of Incision on the Success Rate of Implant Integration at Stage II Uncovering Surgery. J of Oral Max Surgery. 55 (1997):31-38.
Yoonje. J, Emtiaz, S, Tarnow, DP. Single Implant Supported Crown Used as an Abutment for a Removable Cast Partial Denture: A Case Report. Implant Dent. 3 (1998):199-204.
Stuart Froum, Mea A. Weinberg, Dennis P. Tarnow. Comparison of bioactive glass synthetic bone graft particles and open debridement in the treatment of human periodontal defects. A clinical study. J Periodontol. 69 (1998) :698-709.
Orenstein, I.H.,Tarnow, D.P., Morris, H.F., Ochi S. Factors Affecting Implant Mobility at Placement and Integration of mobile Implants at Uncovering. J of Periodontology. 69 (1998):1404-1412.
Nordland W.P., Tarnow, D.P. A Classification System for Loss of Papillary Height. J of Periodontology. 69 (1998):1124-1126.
Froum S, Tarnow DP, Wallace S, Rohrer M, Cho S-C. Sinus Floor Elevation Using ABBM (Osteograf/N) with and without Autogenous Bone; Part 2 of an ongoing study. Int J Perio Rest Dent. 18 (1998):529-543.
Froum S, Emtiaz S, Bloom M, Scolnick J, Tarnow DP. The Use of Transitional Implants for Immediate Fixed Temporary Prostheses in Cases of Implant Restorations. Pract Periodont Aesthet Dent. 10 (1998):737-746.
Emtiaz S, Tarnow DP. Processed acrylic resin provisional restoration with lingual cast metal framework. J of Prosth Dent. 79 (1998):484-484.
Rosenlicht, J.L., Tarnow, D.P. Human Histologic Evidence of Integration of Functionally Loaded Hydroxyapatite-Coated Implants Placed Simultaneously with Sinus Augmentation: A Case Report 2 1/2 Years Postplacement. J of Oral Implantology 1 (2000):7-10.
Tarnow DP, Wallace S, Froum S, Rohrer M, Cho S-C. Histologic and clinical comparison of bilateral sinus floor elevations with and without barrier membrane placement in 12 patients: Part 3 of an ongoing prospective study. Int J Perio Rest Dent. 20 (2000):117-125.
Tarnow DP, Cho S-C, Wallace S. The Effect of the Inter-implant Distance on the Height of the Inter-implant Bone Crest. J Periodontol 71 (2000):546-549.